Ricotta cookies are a delicate, nearly fluffy drop cookie topped with a easy glaze. My understanding is they’re Italian in origin, though I principally consider ricotta cookies as one thing that’s made across the holidays, like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Discover easier cookie recipes in our dessert archives.
Drop cookies are precisely what they sound like. You drop the dough onto a baking sheet in spoonfuls, and bake them.
Not like different cookies that you simply may roll into balls or slice and bake, these ricotta cookies are SO straightforward to make.
Ricotta cookies are delicate and pillowy in texture they usually style nearly creamy. Each the batter and glaze have a bit little bit of lemon, balancing out the sweetness.
Elements for Ricotta Cookies:
- Ricotta cheese
- Vanilla Extract
- Granulated White Sugar
- All-Function Flour
- Baking Powder
- Powdered Sugar
The one ingredient that could be a bit completely different, or one you don’t usually have readily available when you bake usually is ricotta cheese.
This can be a widespread cheese you will discover within the dairy part at most grocery shops; normally in a bathtub container. It’s nice for making calzone or pancakes. If you happen to can’t discover it, you too can make your personal ricotta cheese.
The batter for these ricotta cookies is made by mixing collectively all of the dry elements after which the moist elements. Then, you stir these two parts collectively to create a cake-like batter dough.
The glaze can be actually easy to make with simply three elements a bit little bit of whisking.
You’ll be able to prime the glaze with sprinkles, uncooked sugar, lemon zest, or perhaps a little sprinkle of flaky sea salt. These are straightforward to decorate up for Thanksgiving or Christmas (or any vacation!) through the use of seasonally coloured sprinkles.
Suggestions for Making Ricotta Cookies:
- I’ve tried baking this batter proper after making (with out chilling) and baking after the dough was chilled. Each work simply positive. Nevertheless, if you need that good domed look, I might suggest chilling the dough and utilizing a cookie scoop.
- You’ll be able to swap the lemon zest and juice for lime or grapefruit if you need a barely completely different variation.
- For the glaze, I normally spoon or drizzle it over these cookies as soon as they’ve cooled. An alternative choice is to invert them and dip the tops into the glaze earlier than inserting on a cooling rack to permit extra glaze to drip off.
- If you wish to double this recipe and save a number of the dough for later, discover ways to freeze cookie dough right here.
Searching for extra vacation cookies?
If you happen to like these ricotta cookies, you’ll most likely love these recipes, too:
For extra recipes like this one, don’t neglect to subscribe!
Get artistic concepts for recipes, crafts, decor, and extra in your inbox!
In a medium measurement mixing bowl, whisk collectively the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a big mixing bowl, cream collectively the butter and sugar.
Stir within the ricotta, lemon zest, vanilla and egg till simply mixed.
Now stir within the dry combination till a delicate cake-like batter varieties.
Spoon batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.
Take away to a cooling rack and make the glaze whereas the cookies cool.
For the Glaze:
In a small mixing bowl, whisk collectively the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon milk. If wanted, add one other tablespoon of milk to get the glaze consistency you need.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies. Add sprinkles, uncooked sugar, or a bit flaky sea salt to the tops (elective).
- In my exams it didn’t make an enormous distinction whether or not I chilled this dough earlier than baking or not. Nevertheless, in case your cookies unfold, then the very first thing I might attempt is chilling the dough earlier than baking.
- You’ll be able to simply double or triple this recipe in case you are making for get together OR you’ll be able to freeze cookie dough balls to make use of later.
Discover: Diet is auto-calculated, utilizing Spoonacular, in your comfort. The place related, we suggest utilizing your personal diet calculations.